Power to the idea people.
Patents: Insurance for Profits
When it comes to the value of your company, patents act as a multiplier.
Your company’s business goals and intellectual property strategies are unique. Your outside counsel must understand business, not just the law, in order to get the right end result. Our philosophy is that patent protection is not just about getting patents granted; it’s about obtaining valuable patents that can be used as part of a comprehensive offensive and defensive business strategy. Our firm was founded on that principle and it’s what our clients tell us they value most.
Our clients also value technical expertise. Patterson Thuente IP, fields a team of attorneys with interdisciplinary expertise and before heading to law school, we spent time working as engineers, eye doctors and chemists. We wrote computer code and worked in the lab. We have designed advanced weapons systems and developed novel materials for multinational corporations.
Our industry experience includes:
- Aerospace & Aviation
- Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- Computer/Digital Technologies
- Consumer Products
- Medtech & Digital Health
Meet our patent prosecutors below or check out our Team Page to learn more about the individuals who make up our dynamic team serving clients in and around Minnesota, throughout the Midwest, and worldwide.
Patent Law Services
Our firm works closely with a wide range of clients at all levels of the innovative sphere, including individual inventors, small to mid-sized companies and major international corporations. Our lawyers partner skillfully with innovators, adeptly handing both straightforward and complex patent work.
- Patent filing and prosecution. We can get your patent filed anywhere in the world.
- Provisional patent applications. We advise clients on the use of a provisional patent application as a strategic placeholder.
- Design patents: A quick, easy and inexpensive way to protect your products ornamental designs. We are at the cutting edge of using this increasingly valuable tool to add additional IP protection on innovations from consumer goods to GUI to medical devices.
- Invention Capture. Capturing and documenting the innovation that comes from various areas of any sized organization can be challenging. We have helped many of our clients design and implement their innovation capture and invention disclosure processes.
- Patent portfolio review, analysis, and competitive landscape comparison. We have extensive experience with dynamic monitoring and analysis of competitor portfolio(s), crafting non-infringement and invalidity positions of competitor patents, and building and expanding portfolios to increase the value of clients companies. Accelerated prosecution, licensing, FTO obstacles, and budget are among the considerations that eventually form the strategy.
- IP Due Diligence & Valuation. Whether the goal is to raise funding, sell a portfolio, or be acquired, we help companies of all sizes through the due diligence and valuation process.
- Post Grant Proceedings. We have successfully represented both patent owners and petitioners in proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB).
- Patent Licensing. Let us help you get more value out of your patent portfolio.
- FTO & patentability opinions. With the use of online tools, knowledgeable staff, and proven processes, we can conduct patent searches and produce opinions of counsel quickly and cost-effectively.
Attorneys Who Excel At Finding Strategic Solutions To Complex IP Issues
The talented attorneys at Patterson Thuente IP are world-stage players who combine business savvy, creativity and comprehensive legal know-how with a passion for innovation and technology. Whether you’re looking for better service, a new approach or a team with more depth in your technology area, let’s connect.