Patent Prosecution Attorney (Software, Computer Engineering), Partner-Level
We have a unique opportunity for an entrepreneurial patent attorney with a science background looking to work within a world-stage, mid-sized IP law firm. Based in our downtown Minneapolis office within the IDS Center, you will be serving all sizes of businesses and clients in Minnesota, the Midwest, Montana and around the globe.
In this role, you will play an important part in Patterson Thuente IP’s mission to help clients protect and profit from their innovations. This position will offer direct client interaction and management opportunities from the start, and also may include travel to the United Kingdom and other locations across Europe to collaborate with clients.
What does success look like in this role?
A successful patent attorney at Patterson Thuente IP has an entrepreneurial spirit and takes initiative to bring creative solutions to clients.
Furthermore, you can expect to:
- Draft and prosecute patents, prepare and negotiate agreements for a variety of innovation-inspired clients
- Work independently on client projects and assist with strategy development and relationship management
- Participate in expanding the firm’s client base—with the support of full-time marketing staff—and building your practice according to your own vision
- Work with clients and IP professionals from around the world that interest and inspire you
You will have the benefit of highly skilled paralegal support plus a full-service team of patent and trademark attorneys and IP litigators with which to collaborate
Who you are
You are drawn to challenging, sophisticated work and interested in developing both personally and professionally. You also have the following qualifications:
- 5+ years of patent law experience with active USPTO registration
- An undergraduate degree in computer science, software, computer engineering or related engineering fields
- Superior knowledge of the law, including familiarity with international patent portfolio strategy and development
Authorized to legally work in the United States with no current or future requirement for sponsorship for employment visa status
- A highly developed sense of technical curiosity and a strong commitment to client service
- Communication skills that will inspire the confidence of our clients, and an ability to work with clients for whom English is not a native language
Is this you? We’d love to learn more about you. If you are interested in joining Patterson Thuente’s team of IP professionals, don’t hesitate to submit an application. You can apply by providing writing samples with your résumé, cover letter and salary requirements to [email protected].
We offer a casual work environment with competitive salaries, work-from-home flexibility, outstanding benefits, sensible billable goals, bonus opportunities and more.
-Patterson Thuente IP is an Equal Opportunity Employer-
We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We believe that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as a firm, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.