Paralegal – Legal Support Lead
Are you looking to take on a leadership role in a growing organization? Patterson Thuente IP is seeking an experienced paralegal to take on our newly created position of Legal Support Lead. This role contributes to the firm’s success by working directly with the Practice Group Chairs to assist in meeting department objectives through effective management of legal support staff and department resources.
The Legal Support Lead is responsible for managing the essential functions of our legal support staff, including paralegals, legal administrative assistants and docketing professionals, to provide excellence in service to the firm’s clients and attorneys. This position will also provide recommendations on policies and procedures within each department to maximize workflow efficiencies, develop and maintain best practices, and manage training programs for legal support staff.
The ideal candidate must possess experience as a paralegal supporting patent prosecution encompassing both US and non-US filings. Experience with large and complex client portfolios a plus.
Our culture focuses on collaboration, mutual respect, integrity, and work-life balance. We value our team members’ contributions and support their desire for a rewarding professional experience. We put our employees first by offering excellent benefits and competitive compensation packages that support well-being, including a casual work environment with a hybrid of remote and in-office work schedules.
- Oversees the day-to-day workflow of legal support staff in our IP Prosecution and Litigation Practice groups; determines attorney/client assignments and coordinates back-up coverage with a focus on maintaining steady workflow, resource allocation, quality, timeliness, and productivity
- Identifies legal support staffing needs; collaborates with Human Resources in interviewing and hiring qualified candidates
- Coordinates orientation and training of legal support staff new hires; identifies skill gaps in existing staff and coordinates training as needed; provides on-going education/training to maintain and improve skill sets and knowledge of changing laws and practices
- As a member of the Litigation and Prosecution Procedures Committees, assists in recommending and developing policies and procedures; implements policies and procedures among legal support staff; identifies legal department resource needs and implements new resources, while managing existing resources according to contractual terms and conditions
- Approves legal support staff payroll timecards; manages and approves time off requests
- Assists Human Resources in the coordination of timely and constructive performance evaluations of legal support staff with feedback from attorneys; coordinates with Human Resources in performance improvement plans as necessary
- Performs essential functions/responsibilities of a Patent Prosecution Paralegal in a limited assignment or floating capacity, providing support where needed
- Exemplary interpersonal skills to successfully communicate with a diverse group, including clients, staff, attorneys, and others, and to provide information and direction with professionalism, courtesy and tact
- Excellent problem-solving and conflict resolution skills
- Success in managing, organizing and prioritizing numerous tasks for completion within time constraints
- Act with integrity and confidentiality
- Must possess and work comfortably with advanced legal practice management software and effectively use and maintain a document management system
- High level of responsibility, dedication and accuracy
- Communication skills that will inspire the confidence of our clients and staff
- A strong commitment to client service
- The ability to work both independently and with others, and reinforce our collaborative culture
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
- High school diploma or GED
- BA degree and/or paralegal certificate
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in US and non-US patent prosecution; litigation paralegal experience a plus
- Minimum of 2 years of lead, supervisory or training experience
To qualify, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States, and should not require, now or in the future, sponsorship for employment visa status.
Candidates can apply by providing a cover letter and resume to [email protected].
-Patterson Thuente Pederson, P.A. is an Equal Opportunity Employer-
We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We believe that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as a company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.