Mike Gates is a partner with Patterson Thuente IP, focusing his practice on:
- Patent preparation and prosecution, both domestic and international, for a diverse mix of industries and entities, from solo inventors to multinational corporations.
- Opinions of counsel, ranging from simple opinions concerning patentability and validity to comprehensive product clearances for complex devices and systems.
- Design patent counseling and strategy development across a broad range of technologies including medical devices, graphical user interfaces, consumer products and furniture. Mike is a go-to resource within the firm for design patent best practices and strategy.
- Post-grant proceedings including reexaminations and inter partes reviews. Mike recently successfully represented a ladder manufacturer in an inter parties review proceeding resulting in favorable settlement of co-pending litigation.
- Portfolio management. Mike has extensive experience with management of complex, large intellectual property portfolios, including identifying and pursuing opportunities to expand and leverage clients’ portfolios.
- Due diligence for acquisitions and investment financing, totaling hundreds of millions of dollars over his career.
Mike has significant experience with clients in the medical device, mechanical and automotive industries. He has assisted a number of companies as they navigate the often crowded IP landscape in order to establish a position that aligns with their business objectives. He has worked with numerous start-up companies, particularly in the medical device domain, whose success in fundraising, acquisition and other exit strategies were supported by their strong IP portfolios.
Prior to joining Patterson Thuente IP, Mike clerked at a general practice law firm. He also spent four years working in 3M’s Automotive Division, giving him valuable experience working in a Fortune 500 corporate environment.
Mike is the firm’s resident gearhead. In college he spent three years competing in Formula SAE, an international engineering and racing challenge for students. Mike has over a decade’s experience competing in various categories of car and motorcycle racing.
Representative Technology Experience
- Implantable medical devices, including: Neuromodulation and electrostimulation devices; implantable defibrillators
- Ablation catheters
- Infusion pumps – clinical and ambulatory
- Orthopedic braces
- Internal combustion engines
- Agricultural machinery
- Powersport vehicles and accessories
- Consumer products