Jeff Ali, a member of Patterson Thuente IP’s litigation team, is a seasoned, first-chair litigator with 25 years of experience representing clients in intellectual property enforcement and defense. Jeff’s experience includes patent, trademark, copyright, and trade secrets disputes for technology clients in the pharmaceutical, medical device, software, and manufacturing industries.
With a Doctor of Pharmacy degree and real-world experience as a practicing pharmacist, a particular emphasis of Jeff’s career has been representing generic pharmaceutical companies, including some of the world's largest, in Hatch-Waxman ANDA litigation. He has served as lead counsel in ANDA actions involving Namenda XR®, Multaq®, Xeloda®, Focalin®, Tarceva®, Vimpat®, and Megace ES®. Jeff also manages pharmaceutical opinion work and notice letter/detailed statement preparation before litigation.
Jeff is committed to providing access to the legal system for under-resourced individuals. He has performed hundreds of hours of pro bono work and served on the boards of directors for the Volunteer Lawyers Network and the Fund for the Legal Aid Society of Minneapolis. Prior to joining Patterson Thuente IP, Jeff took a 3-year hiatus from private practice to serve indigent tenants through Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid.
- University of Minnesota Law School, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- J.D. - 1994
- Honors: cum laude
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Pharm. D., Doctor of Pharmacy - 1990
- Minnesota Super Lawyers (2014 – 2017)
- Private Practice Pro Bono Lawyer of the Year, Hennepin County Volunteer Lawyers Network
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Minnesota Intellectual Property Law Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Volunteer Lawyers Network
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin
- Minnesota Supreme Court
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin
- University of Minnesota Law School, Intellectual Property Moot Court Judge